Google is always refining its search algorithm to deliver the most relevant, accurate, and trustworthy search results to users. One of the most significant updates to its algorithm in recent years is the introduction of E-E-A-T, which stands for Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness. In this article, we will explain what E-E-A-T is and provide practical tips on how to improve your website's E-E-A-T score.
In December 2022, Google released an update to its Search Quality Rater Guidelines that emphasized the importance of E-E-A-T. The guidelines provide a roadmap for search quality raters to evaluate the quality of search results. The raters assess websites based on their E-E-A-T score, among other factors, to ensure that the results meet Google's high standards for relevance, accuracy, and trustworthiness.
Experience refers to the user experience on your website. Google wants to ensure that users have a positive experience when they visit your website. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Navigation: Make sure that your website is easy to navigate, with a clear menu and intuitive design.
- Mobile optimization: More and more people are using their mobile devices to browse the internet, so make sure that your website is mobile-optimized.
- Loading speed: Ensure that your website loads quickly to avoid frustrating users and potential customers.
- Accessibility: Ensure that your website is accessible to all users, including those with disabilities.
Expertise refers to the knowledge and experience of the content creator or website author. Google wants to ensure that the content on your website is written by experts who are qualified to write about the topic. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Credentials: Ensure that your content creators have relevant qualifications or certifications that demonstrate their expertise.
- Experience: Highlight the author's experience in the industry or topic they are writing about.
- Content quality: Make sure that the content is accurate, well-researched, and provides value to the reader.
- Author bio: Include an author bio that highlights the author's expertise and credentials.
Authoritativeness refers to the reputation of the website or author within their industry. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Backlinks: Backlinks from other reputable websites are a strong indicator of authoritativeness. Make sure to build high-quality backlinks to your website.
- Social media engagement: A strong social media presence can help establish your website's authority in the industry.
- Industry recognition: Awards, mentions, or testimonials from reputable sources can also boost your website's authority.
Trustworthiness refers to the reliability and accuracy of the information provided on the website. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Use of reliable sources: Make sure to cite reliable sources and link to them in your content.
- Clear disclosure of conflicts of interest: If there is any potential bias or conflict of interest, make sure to disclose it clearly.
- Editorial policy: Have a clear editorial policy that outlines your content creation process and standards.
Google's E-E-A-T is an essential concept that website owners must understand to succeed in search engine optimization. By prioritizing Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness, you can improve your website's E-E-A-T score and provide value to your users. Remember that E-E-A-T is not a checklist but a guiding principle that should inform your overall approach to content creation and website design.