Nine Ways to Stay Inspired and Avoid Blogger Burnout
This post is based on episode 170 of the ProBlogger podcast.
Most bloggers start off with a huge burst of energy and excitement. But then at some point (often in their first year or two of blogging) they come up against their first bout of “blogger burnout”.
Why Does Blogger Burnout Happen?
Blogger burnout can materialise in different forms and for different reasons.
- You may have run out of topic ideas, and feel you’ve said everything there is to say.
- You may have become disillusioned with your topic, your niche, or blogging in general.
- Despite working really hard on your blog, you may not think it’s paying off.
- You may not be reaching the goals you set for yourself.
- You may feel overworked and worn out.
- Your blog may no longer align with the reason you started it. For example, you may have wanted to be creative at first, but now you’re focused on making money.
- You may be overwhelmed by everything you need to do to keep your blog running.
Whatever the cause of your burnout, here are some practical things you can do to tackle it.
- Know your limits and set realistic expectations
- Get into a blogging grove
- Identify your sticking points
- Look after your body
- Take breaks on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis
- Build relationships and look after them
- Fit inspiration and learning into your day
- Play, pivot, and evolve
- Do something that matters
If you’re going through a tough time right now, please look after yourself. And feel free to reach out for help and support in the comments.
Image credit: Luke Porter